U'ar welcome...tour,explore and get informed.

Wednesday 25 January 2012

~Robbers Kill Youth Awaiting NYSC Call-up~: A 26-year old Higher National Diploma graduate from the Kwara State Polytechnic, Ilorin, Jacob Abiodun, has been shot dead by robbers. The victim, who read Accountancy at the polytechnic resided with his parents at 7, Lasisi Street, Agbebi Estate, Honda, Onipanu area of Ogun State, Southwest Nigeria, before his death. Investigation revealed that Abiodun received a phone call from Mrs. Iyabo Akala (Mama Bacit) to come and see her at about 8pm on the fateful day. He left shortly afterwards. But while returning to his parents’ home, robbers riding on two motorcycles (okada) accosted him and later shot him. As he was being rushed to a hospital, he died on the way. According to the deceased’s father, Mr. Kuye Abiodun, “when I returned from work that day I was told by his younger brother that Mama Bacit phoned and asked him to see her urgently. He went and saw her but never returned home. He was shot dead on his way back. “He was a brilliant young boy with a promising future. I am a mechanic and from the little money I got with the support of his mother, he was able to complete his education at the Kwara State Polytechnic. “Most times he would starve to buy books. He was expected to go for his NYSC in March.” A woman who claimed to be an eye witness said: “On Saturday I and my daughter were in front of our house and suddenly I saw two okada riders and as they rode recklessly into Samuel Idowu Close, I told my daughter we should go inside the house. A few minutes later, I heard gun shots and the cry of Mama Bacit. “When the robbers fled I came out alongside other people and we saw her (Mama Bacit) beside the deceased weeping profusely and we rushed him to the hospital where he was confirmed dead. The okada robbers were three and they rode on separate motorcycles.” Mrs. Iyabo Akala from Iganna, Oyo State, was arrested by the police as the prime suspect. According to her, “I am a Muslim and I sell local herbs (agunmu), while my husband is a welder and we reside at 3, Samuel Idowu Close, Agbebi Estate. “May Allah save me from this trouble. I am close to the family and the deceased to the extent that my husband once suspected that I was dating him which was not true. On Saturday he came to my house with N6,000 and told me he wanted to buy a laptop computer that and I should help him to keep it. After that I left to sell my wares. “When I returned in the evening my children told me that Jacob came to look for me and I immediately flashed him and he came; while I was trying to cook for my children. He asked if I could lend him N2000 and I said I didn’t have money and he left with the N6000 he had earlier kept with me. “And I bid him good night. Unfortunately, he was shot on the way and on street where I live. I rushed out when I heard him shouting for help. I did not plot his killing as people are alleging. God will judge.”

No comments: