U'ar welcome...tour,explore and get informed.

Monday 30 January 2012

~Trailer crushes student to death few days to matriculation~ Samuel Atoyebi, who recently gained admission for a two-year diploma course in Business Administration at the Kogi State University, had looked forward to his matriculation this week. But that is not to be as he was crushed to death by a trailer last Wednesday. His father, Evangelist Joel Atoyebi, had sent him along with the driver of one of his business associates to pick some wares at Oko Olowo area of Ilorin, Kwara State, on the fateful day. As Samuel and the driver were heading back along the Ilorin-Jebba Expressway, the front tyre of their truck burst. The driver lost control and the vehicle had a head-on collision with an oncoming trailer. Samuel was crushed to death on the spot, while the driver sustained severe injuries and was later taken to an undisclosed hospital where he is recuperating. Samuel’s death devastated his parents. His father said he regretted sending Samuel on the errand. “I wish I had not asked my dear son, Samuel, to go on that errand. If I knew that such a fate will befall him, I would not have asked him to accompany the driver to Oko Olowo for the wares,” Atoyebi said. Samuel’s mother, Ruth, said she had a horrible dream few weeks ago. She added that if she had understood that the dream would translate into Samuel’s death, her son might not have died. Ruth said, “Few weeks ago, I had a dream, I saw a corpse covered with plain white clothe. I also saw my husband peeping through a window. Later, I saw the face of the corpse and it was my son. “Usually, if I have a nightmare, I would fast and pray about it and with faith I will trust God that nothing evil will happen, but this one came as a rude shock. I know that God understands but it is painful.” Meanwhile, a driver of a Honda Accord with registration number AE 09 FUF on Saturday at the Post Office Flyover, Ilorin, collided with a motorcycle, leading to the death of the cyclist. The state Secretary, Kwara Special Marshals, Mr. Samson Adeoti, in an interview with our correspondent shortly after the accident, advised motorists and cyclists to be mindful of other road users. He said the accident might have been caused by dangerous overtaking. Adeoti said, “We were on duty at Murtala Mohammed Road and we heard a sound which indicated that an accident had occurred at the overhead bridge. On getting there, we met a corpse. The young man who drove the vehicle sustained internal injuries. We alerted our office and we took immediate action and evacuated the corpse to a mortuary. We also removed all obstructions and broken down vehicles on the bridge for easy movement. “Those plying the bridge should be watchful. Overtaking on the bridge could be dangerous. That could be the cause of the accident. We have been recorded this type of accident many times on this bridge.

No comments: